World Vision Ireland
This privacy statement explains how the personal information you provide to us
is collected, used and stored by World Vision Ireland, in compliance with the Data Protection Acts 1998 and 2003, and the GDPR (EU General Data Protection Regulation).
It is designed to protect you by informing you:
- What personal information is collected
- The methods we used to collect it
- What World Vision Ireland will do with this information
- With whom we will share the information
Data Protection Principles
Under GDPR, all personal data obtained and held by us must be processed according to a set of core principles. In accordance with these principles, we will ensure that we:
- Obtain and process your information fairly
- Keep it only for one or more specified, explicit and legitimate purposes
- Use and disclose it only in ways compatible with these purposes
- Keep your data accurate and up to date
- Retain it for no longer than is necessary for its given purpose
- Ensure appropriate security of personal data including protection against unauthorised or unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction or damage by using appropriate technical or organisation measures
- Supply a copy of your personal data to you, if requested
1. Types of Personal Information Held
We keep several categories of personal data which identifies you or can be used to identify or contact you, including your name, address, phone number, email address and other information you provide to us on our online or printed donation forms. Such information is only collected from you if you voluntarily submit it to us via online or printed forms.
2. Collecting Your Data
World Vision Ireland collects details provided by you for the purposes of making a donation, creating a Direct Debit or Debit/Credit Card donation, signing up for information/newsletters or sponsoring a supporter who is fundraising on our behalf.
We record the contact and transactional details on a database in order to manage our supporter relationships.
If you make a donation or a purchase on the website, you will be asked to provide your credit/debit card number, we do not receive these details, they are encrypted using Secure Sockets Layer (“SSL Software”) and are transmitted directly to our payment provider Stripe (https://stripe.com/ie).
If you set up a direct debit donation, we will require your BIC and IBAN numbers.
3. What We do With This Information
We use this information to process your donation, and/or registering your interest in and communicating to you about:
- Our services, such as fulfilling your child sponsorship agreement
- Our campaigns and advocacy work
- Our fundraising events and activities
- Other events, workshops, conferences and publications
- Our volunteer opportunities
- Processing purchases on our online gift shop
- Processing job, intern or volunteer placement applications
- Registering your subscription to mailing lists/newsletters
- Responding to your queries and information requests
- Conducting research and analysis to monitor the performance of our campaigns, fundraising appeals, events and products
- Records of your donations for tax back purposes
- Responding to any feedback you provide or a complaint you make
World Vision will process your personal data based on the following grounds:
- Where it is necessary for the performance of a contract
- Where it is necessary for compliance of a legal obligation to which World Vision is subject
- Where it is in World Vision’s legitimate interest to;
- Process and record your donation and keep a record of your relationship with us
- Provide you with information about any fundraising activities or campaigns that you have agreed to take part in
- Provide you with information necessary for any event or activity you sign up for
- Assess employee/volunteer applications and recruit employees/volunteers
- Follow up with your queries
- Assess our fundraising activities
4. Who We Share Data With
We will not trade your personal details with third parties unless for the purposes stated in point 5 below.
- We may share your personal information with any member of the World Vision partnership.
- We will disclose your personal data if we are required to disclose it in order to comply with any applicable law, summons, search warrant, court or regulatory order, or other statutory requirement.
- The information received from you will be disclosed to a third party (Stripe, Realex, Mailchimp, Campaign Monitor, Eventbrite etc) in order to allow us to process your donations or purchase, and/or provide you with the service you have signed up for.
- Some of these services may be located outside the European Economic Area (EEA). By submitting your personal data for such purposes, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing.
- Donor data will be sent to partners, suppliers and sub-contractors (including third party printers, mailing houses and call centres) only for the purposes of fulfilling and sending our fundraising appeals/campaigns/updates by post, email or telephone.
Protecting Your Data
We are aware of the requirement to ensure your data is protected against accidental loss or disclosure, destruction and abuse. We have implemented processes to guard against such.
World Vision Ireland holds personal data for a range of time periods, these are guided by our statutory requirements for certain data (eg. financial records, employment records or health and safety records), our contractual obligations and our business and risk management requirements.
Rights of access to and updating or deleting your personal data
You have the following rights in relation to the personal data we hold on you:
- the right to be informed about the data we hold on you and what we do with it
- the right of access to the data we hold on you
- the right for any inaccuracies in the data we hold on you, however they come to light, to be corrected. This is also known as ‘rectification’
- the right to have data deleted in certain circumstances. This is also known as ‘erasure’
- the right to restrict the processing of the data
- the right to transfer the data we hold on you to another party. This is also known as ‘portability’
- the right to object to the inclusion of any information
You can unsubscribe from our mailing lists and email newsletters at any time, by clicking on the ‘update preferences’ or ‘unsubscribe’ links at the foot of the email. This link appears on all email newsletters we send out.
You may unsubscribe from SMS alerts by texting ‘STOP’ to 51500. This opt out message appears on all SMS text alerts we send out.
You may also update your contact preferences by phoning our office on 01 498 0800, emailing email@example.com or write to us at World Vision Ireland
Updating your preferences with World Vision will not guarantee that you never see World Vision content on social media, since the social media site may select you based on other criteria and without your data having been provided by World Vision.
Making a Complaint
If you think your data rights have been breached, you are entitled to lodge a complaint with the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner.
Data Protection Commissioner, Canal House, Station Road, Portarlington, Co Laois
+353 57 868 4800 / 1890 252 231, firstname.lastname@example.org
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes.
Please contact us if you have any questions regarding this privacy statement or your personal data using the information below.
Our appointed officer in respect of our data protection activities is;
Rosaleen Tarleton, Supporter Engagement Manager, Rosaleen.email@example.com
World Vision Ireland
The Mews, Garland House
Dublin D06 C6K4
Phone: +353 1 498 0800